Ritz Soup is Served

Puttin’ on the Ritz Soup is Served

by Lyn Foley on March 3, 2012

Diane Cook, who makes classy jewelry from a combination of recycled treasures and new-found goodies, is my partner in the latest Bead Soup Party. Wow, did she give me a challenge. She sent some luscious ingredients – old crystals, some beautiful red faceted quartz, and a humdinger of a focal – a large pin with a wallop of crystals. This baby is about three and a half inches from stem to stern. All of these items are special treasures – but they are something I leave to the experts like Diane. I was out of my box and in a patch of Texas nettles – itchy! What was I going to do? Well, I stewed around, and  viola – Puttin’ on the Ritz!

bead soup

I took the pin findings off the back of the “focal” and decided to make a statement piece with five strands. I didn’t have a good looking neck to photograph the result, but maybe you’ll get the idea of the old-style choker I created. I used the crystals she sent me, and instead of leading the five strands into bead caps, I kept them all parallel and tamed them with some handmade spacers. That way when worn the focal is just at the nape of the neck and the choker strands remain aligned ( it took me three tires to get the length of each strand just right.) With the bead caps I didn’t use in the necklace I made fairly simple earrings since the necklace will be such a wow item when worn.

choker

This piece is now itching not from nettles, but itching to go out on the town, worn by a classy lady wearing a red velvet skirt, and a gourgeous cream silk blouse, all topped off by her retro choker with bling! Doncha’ think?

Last but not least, what I did with those red faceted quartz. I couldn’t resist doing something in my zone – my own lampworked glass beads. The gemstones pay a supporting role, but hey, they do a good job with “Leaves in Red.”

leaves in red

Hop on over to Lori Andrson’s Pretty Things and follow all the blogs to see what goodies have been created out of swapped beads. Have fun!

P.S. Several people have told me my comments button is not working( it is up at the top of the post.) I’m sorry if it isn’t – I haven’t got a clue how or why. If it doesn’t work, and you want to comment, follow this link to my facebook page and like it or whatever.

{ 45 comments… read them below or add one }

Diane March 3, 2012 at 6:58 am

You definitely used the pin in the most gorgeous way it could be done Lyn!  Adding 5 strands on each side of it was the perfect way to showcase this beauty.  Love how you used the cones in your earrings, and those faceted ruby quartz look stunning next to your leaves in red =)  Great job, and great fun ~ partner!! xo

sandi m March 3, 2012 at 8:52 am

Lyn, What a perfect way to showcase the rhinestone pendant.  Elegant and simple.
Your lampwork with the red quartz stones is beautiful.
Diane did a stunning job with your soup, too.

You both are sooooo talented!!
sandi

Cindy Cima Edwards March 3, 2012 at 9:20 am

Wonderful soup! I adore your Putting on the Ritz choker and earrings and your Leaves in Red is beautiful too – amazing job!

Joanne Lockwood March 3, 2012 at 10:53 am

What a fabulous choker! Very elegant and would hold it’s own on the ‘Red Carpet’. The quartz shows off your lapwork splendidly too. Beautiful pieces :) x

Cindy March 3, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Lyn, what a romantic statement piece you created with the beautiful rhinestone pin!  I can appreciate the skill and time involved in designing with 5 strands!!  It is stunning. I love your creative idea of using the cones for earrings.  And your leaves necklace is amazing – truly in your own unique style.  It was fun to see the contrast in the designs you made for this bead soup!

Alice March 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I love the choker.  It’s so elegant and romantic.   I’m a sucker for lampwork bead, and yours look fabulous alongside those red quartz beads!

Tracy March 3, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Love the glitz, glamour and vintage appeal of your choker, and you’ve chosen the perfect name for it.

Jeanetteblix March 3, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I was really looking forward to see yours and Diane’s bead soup because of your different design styles. You both knocked it out of the park! Beautiful pieces!

Lori Bowring Michaud March 3, 2012 at 9:47 pm

All three pieces are stunning! I love that you were able to create two pieces (the necklace and earrings) that were romantic and elegant and in a style reminiscent of Diane’s and as well, create a piece that is uniquely you. Bravo!

Karyn Lewis Bonfiglio March 3, 2012 at 9:49 pm

That choker and those earrings, wow! I hope you do get to go to a fancy party in those. Perfect for the holidays perhaps? And the quartz pairs perfectly with your own beads. Beautiful!

Artwithmoxie March 3, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Love, Love, Love every piece.

Barbara Bechtel March 4, 2012 at 3:45 am

wow! That first set reminds me of elegant Victorian ladies at a ball or I can see it on a beautiful bride!

Joanne Tinley March 4, 2012 at 4:38 am

Your first necklace is so elegant! Definitely a lovely bridal piece. I love the leaves on the second necklace too.

Marjolein March 4, 2012 at 5:56 am

You made the most wonderful things with the soup that your partner sent you. The choker is so beautiful!!! The lampwork magnificent with the red beads!

Linda Younkman March 4, 2012 at 7:41 am

Love your pieces.  Each one is super special.

jean peter March 4, 2012 at 7:59 am

wonderful work, you had a great soup  and finished it up great!

Ann March 4, 2012 at 8:46 am

The comment button does seem to be working, it’s hard to see though.  I love all your pieces and the contrast between your choker with the vintage piece and the hot colors in the other necklace really shows a great range of talent.

Mariposa8000 March 4, 2012 at 10:51 am

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous! Both pieces!

Jelveh March 4, 2012 at 11:37 am

You did great with the pin, I would have cracked under pressure. Hey are both lovely…

Nancy March 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Both your necklaces are really pretty. I really like the first one with that rhinestone focal. I find it really hard to get all the strands the right length too.

Michaela Pabeschitz March 4, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Wow, great designs! One for a fulminant appearance at Tiffanys and the other one for a warm late-summer evening party! I like the contrast of those both designs!

Molly Alexander March 4, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Wow Lyn – what beautiful pieces you created from the amazing ingredients Diane sent you!  The focal in ‘Puttin’ On The Ritz’ is amazing, and I really like how you were able to incorporate it into a gorgeous statement piece that is very wearable.  And, as I’ve been a fan of your lampwork beads for a long time, I absolutely love ‘Leaves in Red’ – so much color and whimsy!  Great job! :)

Karen Vincent March 4, 2012 at 7:52 pm

‘Puttin on the Ritz’ is absolutely stunning!!  ‘Leaves in Red’ – beautiful :)

Maria Rosa March 5, 2012 at 4:39 am

Gorgeous  necklace. Wonderful use of the beads you were sent. Super shiny!

cdamm1 March 5, 2012 at 5:23 am

Lyn, your post was so entertaining and then the eye candy– WOW! love that Ritz-y piece–you definitely channedled Diane– but I so love your own intensely-colored lampwork. Both were definitely worth the visit to your blog.

Lori Dorrington March 5, 2012 at 6:42 am

I love both designs, but I’m drawn to the lampwork piece. I love your lampwork beads with the deep red beads from your soup, and hope someday to be as skilled as you are at the torch. Cheers!
Lori D.

lorelei eurto March 5, 2012 at 2:10 pm

You never disappoint! I was looking forward to seeing you and Diane  partner up, I just love the soup she sent you! Really fantastic work! And the leaf necklace with your beads and her beads- perfection!

Kathleen Lange Klik March 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Beautiful designs! The leaf necklace is stunning-love it. Very clever idea using the end caps in your earring design!

Winddancerstudios March 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Gorgeousness! I love what you did! I would even wear the first piece grocery shopping :D

Karen Hess March 5, 2012 at 5:29 pm

FABULOUS!!!  Oh, Lynn, your first creation is SO in my realm of creativity!!!  I love, love, love, the sweet softness of the colors and the incredible punch of bling!!  Well done, my dear!  I also love and appreciate the second choker where you enhanced your gorgeous lampwork beads with the special reds Diane sent!

Baymoondesign March 6, 2012 at 4:13 am

Oh my gosh!  The first necklace is spectacular.  The matching earrings are perfect.  I love how you used the bead caps to create them.  Your lampwork is to die for! Thank you for sharing your lovely work.

lisa March 6, 2012 at 5:32 am

Beautiful ingredients and necklace! :)

Deryn Mentock March 6, 2012 at 10:26 am

Wow, Lynn…just gorgeous!

Pattivan March 6, 2012 at 11:07 am

OMG!!  That choker is to die for!  Utterly beautiful!  I love how you incorporated your own lampwork beads into the mix for the second reveal!  These are both just gorgeous!

Kay Thomerson March 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

What great pieces. I love her vintage finds. And your lampworked beads are gorgeous in the last piece. Nice job.

Adlinah March 7, 2012 at 1:35 am

You certainly did put on the ritz – that is one dazzling, ritzy choker! That other necklace is just as dazzling – love your lampwork leaves – they’re a perfect match for the red quartz.

Michelle L. Jensen March 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm

So cool. I love the leaves piece. Your lampwork is stunning.

KJ March 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Both pieces are great – and so very different from each other.  I think you captured the choker look perfectly and I love your glass leaves!

Stacey March 7, 2012 at 1:29 pm

OH MY!!!  How gorgeous!!  I can just imagine that gorgeous choker on someone…all heads will turn!  And the red rondelles look beautiful with your lampworked leaves!

CraftyHope March 7, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Ritzy it is!! Wow!!

Andra Weber March 8, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I love both necklaces but the Leaves is Red— AWESOME!  Your leaves are fantastic and with the raspberry quartz- a dynamite pairing.

Jean A Wells March 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Wow, did I say Wow?  Puttin’ on the Ritz I guess.  Both pieces are absolutely gorgeous.  Great job!  So where are you going to go all dressed up like that?

Alicia March 10, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Absolutely gorgeous, Lyn – you did an amazing job with both pieces! I love them both! The chocker is so in-time with all the Downtown Abbey hype, and such an original way to use the focal :)

Sonya Stille March 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Beautiful designs.  Love the pearls and your lampwork beads are stunning.
Sonya

Lori Finney April 1, 2012 at 7:51 am

Comment worked fine for me, obviously! :-) It’s just a bit slow to load…
But…wonderful, wonderful pieces!! I especially love that vintage choker; what a wonderful job you did with your treasure! And yes….still hopping LOL!!