Post image for Having Heart

Having Heart

by Lyn Foley on September 18, 2013

I’ve had all my attention on a simply wonderful collection of African trade beads for a while now. A family member asked me to appraise them for the estate of a collector named Patrick. The process of cleaning, organizing, categorizing, identifying and pricing the beads was exhilarating – and challenging.

Even though Patrick was no longer around, I learned a lot about him from his beads. There were more 3,500 strands of beads – that’s right, more than three thousand, five hundred strands of beads!

Patrick had a big heart – his love of beads was evident. The collection is very fine, interesting and so perfectly chosen that 99% of the beads are “keepers.” Beads from the Neolithic age in Africa all the way up to around the year 2000 were in baskets and boxes, and of course the trade beads included lots of glass. There were Venetians, Bohemians, Czech, and more, and they spanned from the 1800′s to the present as well. Patrick had good taste in beads. In spite of what some people might think of as going overboard, he had restraint. He limited his selections to African trade beads – he just delved deeply.

We’ll find out over the next few months where the collection will go. An auction house? A special sale? A special show? I’ll be involved in some way and will keep you informed as a decision is made.

I finished the appraisal on Sunday the 15th. On Monday I turned on my torch to make my own glass beads in preparation for upcoming shows at Cottonwood, and later Edom, both near Dallas. I’ve been having some funny bodily symptoms, and a subsequent visit to a cardiologist Monday afternoon resulted in a change of plans. I’ll be at Austin Heart for pre-surgical testing instead of torching. Then I’ll have open heart surgery in the next few days to replace my aortic valve. I know I will recover just fine, however, no shows or work on the torch are in my near future.

I’ll miss seeing you for awhile – but I’ll be back – and better than before with my new heart valve! Later…………….

P.S. A lot of my jewelry will be at The Gallery at Round Top during Antique Week – go enjoy!

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Lori Anderson September 18, 2013 at 8:18 am

Holy cow, best wishes with the surgery!!!!

Tricia Toole September 18, 2013 at 9:04 am

You have been such a Godsend to the art world and your husband! You will come through this and be even better, if possible! Sending prayers!

Denise S September 18, 2013 at 9:50 am

Lynn, best wishes for a speedy recovery. I will hold you in my heart and will miss seeing you here in TX.

Alicia@AllPrettyThings September 18, 2013 at 10:22 am

Oh, my – those beads are beyond gorgeous! Please take good care of yourself and have a quick recovery. Keeping you in my thoughts!

Margie melby September 18, 2013 at 10:31 am

I send my love and prayers. There will be so many friends holding you in their heart that your new valve will be better than better. God be with you.

D'Wanna Whitener September 18, 2013 at 11:52 am

So sorry to hear about your heart, but glad they found your condition in time. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! I know you will be back torching in no time.

Johnny jones September 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I have been down that same road, will keep you in my prayers.

Jackie S. Gibson September 18, 2013 at 1:01 pm

My goodness, what a surprise. I am so glad that you listened to your symptoms! All the best with your aortic valve replacement. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you take care of yourself; a speedy recovery!
Thanks for all your loveliness! Thanks for sharing Patrick’s wonderful collection! Best wishes!
Jackie (formerly of Houston, now in Pass Christian, MS)

chris schavrda- beckendorff September 18, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Dear Lynn, in my heart of hearts, I know you will be an even better aritist. My prayers are to guide the surgeons during the procedure, and then his loving and healing hands on your heart. The art world needs you back and perking at full pace. we sealy gals keep you and hubby in our thoughts and prayers.
My love.

Neva Warnock September 18, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Oh, my word, Lynn! It sounds like you that a tad close! Thank goodness for modern medicine — being able to both diagnose it AND replace it — it’s kind of amazing, isn’t it? Yeah, I say replacing the… drivetrain, so to speak, outranks Cottonwood. I look forward to hearing from you when you’re back up and at it. Be patient with yourself during rehab, ok? That seems to be maybe the toughest part.

Neva

Nancy Young-Pfromm September 18, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Oh my goodness! Lyn! You two really have been through the mill! Well, I have to say, if anyone is resiliant, it is you! My goodness! I love reading these blogs of how you and Jim have impacted the jewelry world…once again! I guess you never really stopped, did you? Well, I was hoping to see you two in October at the family reunion. What are the chances?? I’m sure you will be back at making and selling jewelry very soon, nothing can keep you down! But if there is any chance you two might come to Arkansas, please let us know! We would love to see you! Let us know how you are doing! Great Big Bear hugs!
Nancy

Kathy adams September 19, 2013 at 6:25 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope everything goes well

Teresa Jara September 20, 2013 at 10:18 am

Best Wishes and a speedy recovery

Dianne Jones September 23, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Wishing you the best and hope for a speedy recovery!

Marilyn Marco September 23, 2013 at 12:27 pm

My dear Lyn! I just heard from Jim early this morning about your surgery. I am holding you in light and love and sending you healing energy! I know you will be back up and running soon. Much love to you!

Paul Grossman September 23, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Hi Lyn,
We’re sorry to hear of your latest news.
We are sending you our “best vibes” and know you will come out of this on top !!

Love you,
Paul & Rita

Judi Friedman September 24, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Lyn,

My heart and prayers are with you for the best outcome.
Love,
Judi

Kashmira September 25, 2013 at 1:39 am

Oh my!!! I was drooling over all that beady goodness and what a bombshell you dropped! Wishing you a speedy and as easy as possible recovery. You will be in my thoughts..waiting to see the “all is well” post!