Post image for Recovering from Heart Surgery

Recovering from Heart Surgery

by Lyn Foley on October 22, 2013

Back in early September I had two slight dizzy spells. In spite of the seeming insignificance of the symptom, I went to my doctor, who sent me for an echo cardiogram. The cardiologist I saw told me: “The main symptom of your heart condition is death. Most people have no symptoms, and we don’t know they have a problem until they are gone. You need to have open heart surgery immediately to replace your aortic valve.”

I was lucky. I had the surgery, and am a living testament to the following advice: Listen to your body, and pay attention to what it tells you. Don’t say “Oh, it is nothing!” Go ahead and check it out – it could save your life.

It’s been a month since the surgery. I am recovering steadily and am better and better each day. I still must protect my chest and surgical incision, but can drive again, and am making beads and jewelry.Yeah!

I am so grateful to be alive. Jim and I both received a tremendous out-pouring of love and support. People have been wonderful: From the two surgeons, to the caring staff at Austin Heart Hospital, my sister Mary, my special friends Betsy, Karen and Denise, a myriad of other friends who brought food or took care of or walked with Jim (Jonsey, Kay, Tony, Chris, Cheryl, Frances, Ginger, Ora, Dave,Ken, Amelia, Sharon, Ruth, Sally, Randy, Betty, Harry, Kathy,Ronda and Mitch), or carried things I couldn’t lift,and later drove me to the grocery store or doctors appointments. The list goes on. Each gesture, call, or card has meant so much to me – and to Jim who had to remain at home alone while I was in the hospital. Thank you each and all from the bottom of my newly repaired, strong beating heart.

I’ve had to cancel several shows, but I’ll be back selling my jewelry soon, with new designs, and renewed purpose. (The doctors say I’ll have even more energy – so look out). I’ll keep you informed – and thank you again for all your messages of love and support

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Jan M. - Oregon October 22, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Lyn, Your post brings tears. SOOOO glad to hear the good progress news. Even though we only met once – at a TX show, I feel connected and blessed that your art is part of my life. Everywhere I go, I wear your pieces and get to talk about the brilliant Texas artist who makes them. Best wishes.

Candy M October 22, 2013 at 1:27 pm

So glad to hear you’re on the mend. How frightening! Best wishes, glad your surgery went well!

D'Wanna W October 22, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Was just thinking of you yesterday and opened my email to find your update! So happy to hear you are healing and doing well. May you have many more healthy years ahead! The best to you and Jim.

Eleonor October 22, 2013 at 2:01 pm

My Dear Lyn…I am stunned. Having no inkling of your heart troubles &/or surgery …I sit with my iPad eating lunch and trying to write you.
This does not work…I will try reaching you by phone.

Eleonor

Dee Lane Mock October 22, 2013 at 3:39 pm

So glad that the problem was caught and that you listened to your body! Of course, thrilled that the operation was a success and that you have such a wonderful support system to aid you as you recover. Sending a hug from here in TN!

Doreen & Michael October 22, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Hi Lyn/Jim,
We are so happy to hear that you are on the mend! Kudos to your sister and Jim – think of you every day when I look at Our Magnolia tree – hugs, Doreen & Michael

Pam & Steve October 25, 2013 at 9:33 pm

We, too, are stunned to hear your news — but so glad that you are recovering and feeling better now. It’s been too long since we’ve seen you two. Hugs from us both.

Martha Bass November 14, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Lynn,
So glad to hear you are on the mend. Take care of yourself and blessings to you, your husband and your circle of friends.

John and Mari Jo February 28, 2014 at 9:10 am

Wow! Didn’t know about this cuz’n; so glad you’re recovering well. Back to your art is the best therapy right? Health to you and Jim.